Old China Cafe serves Southeast Asian cuisine that is a combination of Straits Chinese and Malay delicacies.
The premises was formerly the guild hall of the Selangor & Federal Territory Laundry Association. The guild was set up at the turn of the century and moved to this part of Chinatown in the 1920s.
Many of the architectural details of the building have remained unchanged, even the doors to the kitchen still have wooden latches. This type of pre-war shophouses may not exist much longer.
Old China Café tries to maintain a semblance of the Chinese community’s old social life is fading into history. The patina of age contributes to the ambience.
This café is to remind us of the hard work carried out by the early Chinese settlers of Kuala Lumpur way back in 1857 when tin was first mined in Ampang. Their labour benefited KL greatly and laid the foundation for a successful commercial centre.