Welcome to fabulous tax-free shopping! Here in Malaysia, shopping becomes even more fun with the abundance of imported tax-exempted merchandise. What is found on the retail shelves in most countries can be picked up here at much lower prices. That, and the fact the Ringgit Malaysia remains one of the most attractive currencies in the region, make shopping a highlight in every visitor’s list.
While the inventory of tax-free goods keeps growing, there are some places in Malaysia designated as special duty free zones. These spots offer a delightful range of merchandise, all attached to even lower price tags.
DUTY FREE vs. FREE DUTY
DUTY FREE goods are those exempted from import duty only in designated shopping zones in Malaysia while FREE DUTY products are goods that are free from import duty and are available nationwide, all year round.
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA)
- Bayan Lepas International Airport (Penang)
- Langkawi International Airport (Kedah)
- Kota Kinabalu International Airport (Sabah)
- Kuching International Airport (Sarawak)
- Port Klang (Selangor)
- Tanjung Belungkur (Johor)
- Pengkalan Kubur (Kelantan)
Domestic Designated Duty Free Islands
Free Duty Goods are available throughout
- Kuala Lumpur
- Georgetown (Penang)
- Kuching (Sarawak)
- Johor Bahru (Johor), and
- Border Towns
- Padang Besar (Perlis)
- Bukit Kayu Hitam (Kedah)
- Pengkalan Hulu (Perak)
- Rantau Panjang (Kelantan)
- Kuala Baram (Sarawak)